The internet can seem like a safe place to surf the web and watch a video – however, there are many dangers lurking there that can affect your computer. There is a wide range of malicious software that can be used to monitor your online activities and possibly steal your private information. Malware types used by hackers change regularly, but they can include:
- Viruses can cause the software on your computer to malfunction
- Adware, which bombards your screen with intrusive advertisements
- Spyware, which allows people to monitor your computer activity
- Ransomware, A virus that locks up your computer and prevents it from working until you pay a fee, or “ransom”, is called ransomware.
- A computer worm is a piece of software code that spreads from one computer to another.
Hackers use many other ways to steal your data online. An example of this is phishing, in which a person tries to trick you into visiting a fake website (like your bank’s website) to steal your personal information.
Thankfully, antivirus software like Bitdefender and Norton, two of the best antivirus products we rated in the Best Antivirus Software of 2021, can help protect you and your computer against these and other threats. However, adding a strong password to your account and taking other common-sense security measures is essential.
If you’re surfing the web, sending emails, streaming videos, or doing anything else online, your antivirus software can scan any information and files sent or received from your computer in real-time. As soon as your software has caught something, it warns you not to click on any website or file that may pose a security risk. Additionally, antivirus software will attempt to quarantine and delete malware if you accidentally download it to your computer.
This year’s Best Antivirus Software of 2021 will help you protect your Windows computer:
Among our top 10 Antivirus Software of 2021 is Bitdefender, which offers a wide array of packages. Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS are all supported, along with one-, two-, and three-year subscriptions. While Bitdefender has an included VPN, its VPN capabilities are limited, and the company does not provide identity theft protection.
Bitdefender is a software company that sells antivirus software to small and mid-size businesses, as well as enterprise and government customers. Bitdefender is headquartered in Romania. Over 500 million devices worldwide are protected by the company’s products, and it employs close to 1,600 people. In North America, Europe, and Australia, there are over 800 engineers and researchers.
- Subscriptions discounted for multi-devices and multi-years
- Special protections and features tailored to specific apps and functions
- Available in the 15-device Family Pack
- Includes separate macOS-specific solutions
- All packages except the top-tier include limited access to a virtual private network (VPN)
- One drawback is that no protection against identity theft
With Kaspersky Lab, you can buy antivirus software in four levels, including the entry-level plan that includes a virtual private network (VPN). All plans are available for multiple operating systems, except the entry-level plan.
In addition to providing cybersecurity solutions to companies and governments, Kaspersky Lab is one of the world’s largest privately-owned cybersecurity companies. Its parent company, Kaspersky Lab, was founded in 1997 in St. Petersburg, Russia. Kaspersky North America was founded in 2004 in Massachusetts. With operations in 200 countries and territories, 35 offices in 31 countries, and roughly 400 million consumer and enterprise users, it employs more than 4,000 people.
- Subscriptions are relatively inexpensive and can be used on multiple devices for a long time
- Mac-specific subscriptions are also available
- With VPN included in all tiers except the basic
- Identity theft protections included but only in the top-level plan
“SecureAnywhere” antivirus software packages from Webroot offer a wide variety of features for a cost that is competitive with many other antivirus software providers. Webroot provides security against cyber-threats such as ransomware, phishing, viruses, identity theft, and others are addressed.
Protecting 206+ Million devices across consumers, businesses, and technology partners. A wide range of large networking companies also uses Webroot’s BrightCloud Threat Intelligence Services.
The company was founded in 1997 in Broomfield, Colorado, where its headquarters remain. In February 2019, Carbonite, an online data backup service, acquired the company. A month later, OpenText, a company specializing in information management, acquired Carbonite.
- Subscriptions at an affordable price
- Affecting system performance in a minimal manner
- All packages include firewall and webcam protection
Its identity theft protection plan is one of the most comprehensive available, and Norton – now officially NortonLifeLock – offers one of the most ubiquitous brands in internet security and antivirus software. Norton, with headquarters in Tempe, Arizona, is one of the world’s largest IT companies and employs more than 3,700 people worldwide.
It’s important to mention Norton’s LifeLock identity theft protection, which offers comprehensive protection against identity theft. Furthermore, it includes up to $100,000 in insurance that covers legal fees and loss reimbursement.
Despite its powerful features, LifeLock plans are more expensive than those of many other antivirus vendors. The second reason is that even the cheapest Norton plan includes features it is often necessary to acquire separately from other vendors, including a VPN, a password manager, and a cloud storage service from 10 to 500 GB.
- Each package includes virtual private networking (VPN).
- Subscriptions tailored specifically to gamers.
- Protection against identity theft by LifeLock with all multi-device antivirus packages.
- Computer webcams are protected by SecureCam.
- The software is compatible with Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- A cloud storage service is included with all tiers